Final Project Journal

May 17:
I watched a few tutorials on sculpting in blender and tried to make a general shape of my character. I've chosen to model an existing one called Tony Chopper. I'm planning to do a quick sketch to figure out how I want to sculpt this character.
Image result for tony chopper one piece

Tutorials used today:
https://youtu.be/IG1IEpU5VAw

May 23:
I finished making the general shape of the character and have a rough idea of what I'm doing. Even just putting together basic shapes seems difficult.

May 25:
I do refer to the first tutorial mentioned before, but other than that, I'm just learning as I go. I've started to make a more recognizable form of the shapes so that the body and head resemble the characters. Sculpting seems confusing to accomplish.

May 29:
Today I started forming the antlers, I didn't realize they were all supposed to be attached to one another until I had finished duplicating them and looked at the reference picture. I tried using a rectangle to connect them later on but it doesn't look right. Will have to find a better solution later on.

May 31:
It turns out that I'll have to sculpt each part of the character separately as that will be the easiest and most efficient way to complete the sculpture on time. I was wondering why it was difficult to form certain shapes until I found out most or some of the objects seen in blender sculptures are done in edit mode.

June 4:
I have restarted some of the objects to make them look better through edit mode. For example, The pink front part of the hat that sticks out did not look similar enough to the character's. So I remade it and added some edge loops and moved it into a general shape. Then I subdivide smoothed it all and it looked much better.

June 6:
The character is starting to come together but since I've been working on getting the basic shape right, I am going over the days I set for myself in my proposal. It seems I will have to add a few days while I try to make everything more round in a symmetrical way that doesn't include the tedious sculpt tools.

June 8:
Today I've finally finished the general form of my sculpture and am starting to add details. I've decided to do a pose where the character is eating a watermelon since I don't want to copy the reference image too much and it seems like a simple pose to do.

June 12:
Details are being added and everything is looking smoother. it is easier to tell what everything is supposed to look like and I started using the sculpt tools today. I'm making the shapes and curves of the character more prominent.

June 14:
Today I'm going to try to use dyntopology and add more detail to my sculptures. Today I smoothed everything out and rounded the antlers. I was even able to finally complete the paw as it was taking me a while to get the hoove parts right.

June 16:
Today I added more details such as the creases in the shirt and the bites on the watermelon slice, I now find it easy to recognize the character, but sculpting is still as difficult as it was in the beginning, as adding detail (more polygons) causes the files to become huge. This can be fixed I think, with retopology, but that is a skill I cannot learn in the time given.

June 18:
The sculpture is finally done but the texturing is still not finished.  So I started on texturing today by unwrapping all the objects and assigning them the right materials and textures. The colours wouldn't show but I decided to fix that another time.


June 20:
I finally finished texturing and got the images to render with colour. It was long and tedious and I can say with passion that blender is not the friendliest program to sculpt and texture in. It required a lot of perseverance but I managed to get everything to look right, Even the foot that wouldn't save its texture properly. In the end I can see the amount of effort put into my project and am happy with the results

Comments