Kodu Pac-Man







1. While my game is very similar to the original, I added my own ideas to make the game more fun and challenging. Some similarities of my Pac-Kodu shared with the original Pac-Man is the ghosts, I also had powerups that allowed the player to be invincible to any damage done by the ghosts for a limited amount of time. I have a maze-like structure like Pac-Man and had coins to collect for points. However, unlike Pac-Man, I set up a time limit for the player to complete the game and a scoring system where you needed a certain amount to win. Another twist I added was the stun pads, I chose a terrain and coded into the cycle where it would stun the player anytime they come into contact with it, slowing down the player and making it harder to run away from the ghosts. Another factor I added was giving the ghosts missiles that wouldn't damage the player but stun them instead. This made it more challenging when trying to maneuver around undetected and increased the difficulty if you were cornered or caught by one.

2. An extra I added was the big coin in the middle, it was supposed to act as a bait to lure the player into the center in hopes they become trapped and overwhelmed with the ghosts. While it is worth more than the ordinary coins, you don't need it to win and can complete the game just as easily without it. Another detail would be the hearts. the player can be damaged by the ghosts and once their health reaches 0 the game is over. The hearts are meant to heal the player to give a longer gameplay instead of a quick death and game over.

3. Some difficulties I had was figuring out how to make the powerups work properly. I did this by making the powerup change the player into a different colour that would make them able to damage the ghosts. The other problem with the powerups was figuring out how to make them work for a certain amount of time and change the player back into their original colour. At first, I input a code where every ten seconds the cycle would turn white, the dilemma with this was that the time the player would be invincible would be inconsistent every time. To fix this, I overheard something about using a second page. So on the first page, as you can see in one of the screenshots after the player bumps into a star (powerup), they turn purple and the code switches over to the second page. On the second page, I set a time limit of 10 seconds where the player would change back into white and the code would switch back to the first page. Another issue with this was that I had to put in some codes on the second page and inlined them with the first so that the player could still collect coins, be stunned, etc.

4. A suggestion was to remove some of the stun pads, in the beginning, I had too many of them and it was interfering a lot with the flow and movement of the player. So I removed the pads on the outer areas of the maze as well as the back part of where the big coin was because the recoil of it easily caused the player to be trapped and die from the swarm of ghosts. I only kept the ones at crucial points of the game. Another suggestion was that the ghosts were shooting their missiles too quickly, making it too difficult to escape and evade them. In the setting I set the ghosts' missile reload speed to the maximum, which is around 7 seconds to give the player a better chance to run away. A feedback about the controls was given, the controls in Kodu were a bit sluggish and would sometimes lag, something I still haven't been able to quite figure out how to fix.

5. What I would improve about my game are the visuals. Right now it looks bland to me and I would like to add in more creative details to make it more appealing to the eye; this, however, would raise the resource meter and be a factor affecting how smoothly the game runs. The next step with my game is determining if it's been made at a good difficulty. It's certainly challenging and it has been completed before, but if it were to be tested by a vast general audience, it's unknown whether this would be too easy or too hard for them. Another step would be just making the game more fun overall, perhaps leveling the playing field so that the player can attack back without needing the powerups.








Comments