Indie Game: The Movie

1. Independent games are made by a small group of people and are more personal in terms of style/concept. Most indie games reflect the designer or an experience they went through. Big games are designed and created by a large company who try to cater their game to the largest audience possible. The style of big games is more realistic and polished than an indie game.

2. Many of the developers had to overcome financial problems because they had no means of earning money while working on their game. Another difficulty was that they had to spend almost their entire day working on the game for the whole time it's in development, this leads to not interacting with many people. Isolation is another difficulty some had to face. Since the developers in the film had to put in a lot of effort and time into developing and finishing their game, they don't have much time left to be social and have to give up interacting with most people.

3. What I think I would like about working on an indie game is that I would get to create a game in the way I envisioned it to be. I could make something that means something for me, something that others don't necessarily have to enjoy. It would be nice if I was able to make connections with people through a game that I made, inspiring them as well. However, I don't think I would like all the stress associated with making an indie game. The negative reviews or feedback from others would be something I wouldn't like much either since it would bring me down a lot. another thing I would not like is if I made a game that no one understood the concept of if the message I was trying to convey was lost to the player.

4. Based on what I learned from the film, some advice I would offer is to try not to be like one of the big game companies like one of the developers from the film suggested. The whole point of an indie game is that it's not as polished as a game made by thousands of people and that it's more personal. An indie game is usually something you make to feel proud of yourself for accomplishing it. It's a game that you've created using a part of yourself, whether it's your fears and vulnerabilities, or your childhood. 

5. Just finally finishing the game in the first place. Another best part is to see people play and react to the game you've worked so hard on and seeing them enjoy it. Some of the developers were happy knowing that they've become an inspiration to others and received the approval and appreciation they've wanted for their game. 

Comments