Scratch Level 4 - Create Your Own Game





https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/192493152/

1. Some difficulties I had with programming the game was getting the character's walking animation to run smoothly. At first, I made it so that the script would play the entire animation for that direction if the key was pressed, but this caused problems if the player were to switch to another key and start walking another direction. The walking animation would not stop, so if you pressed 'a' and then quickly switched to 'd', Nero would look like he's doing the moonwalk before properly walking the right way. Which, as cool as it looks, does not fit well when the player is trying to seriously navigate around the map. At first, I made many attempts to try and fix this, many which failed. Some of these attempts include me trying to make the wait time between the costume changes faster; not only did this make Nero look like he was frantically sprinting, but that he was moving his legs faster than his actual walking speed. To fix this, I added a wait until __ key was pressed between each costume change. This made it so that the animation wouldn't continue running unless the said key was kept pressed. 

Another difficulty I had was getting the monsters to move around when the game was running. I decided that giving the monsters a set path would be easier than trying to figure out how to get them to chase the player during their specific levels. I went with a broadcast and set it so that each monster had one corresponding to their stage/level, but every time I started up the game and walked through the different stages, the monsters would appear but they would be at a standstill. To fix this, I made it so that they're moving right from the beginning. I made a script so that they would keep walking their set paths until they touched the walls. The broadcast's purpose would now be to unveil the monster and the coding for the battle and death system, to get the monsters to stop moving and keep them away so that the player wouldn't accidentally hit them when they're not supposed to, I made it so that the slimes would be moved to the right wall after their deaths, immediately stopping their movement because of that repeat until touching walls script.

2. I used different tutorials and incorporated them into my game. The tutorials I used are: Scratch Tutorial: How to Make a RPG/Adventure Game (Part 1)Scratch Tutorial: How to Make a Shooter Game (Part 1), along with the other continued parts in the tutorial's series. Changes I made were to use rocks and arrows instead of bullets and a different layout for stages. I also added my own designs and characters to my game to make it more unique, along with its own storyline to keep the game interesting and a purpose for the gameplay. I also made my game more complex, and the only similarities I can think of that my game shares with the tutorials are the idea of certain concepts such as shooting a weapon and transitioning between levels. Everything else I created on my own.

3.Some feedback I received was that the stages looked empty with just the decorations and monsters. I implemented this by adding the little creatures and giving them dialogue to fill in empty spaces and give the game more story content that the player could interact with. Another feedback I received was that it was difficult to move around the stages and it was easy to get caught and/or stuck on the walls, so I made the walls less narrow to give the player more room to move around in and made sure that each stage's entrance and exit lined up.

4.There are many things I would like to improve about my game such as more story content and interactable objects for the player to discover and explore. I would also like to add more stages and different kinds of monsters to make the story more interesting and less repetative. If I could, I would add more items for the player to pick up such as power-ups or different weapons to defeat monsters with. The next steps I would take with the game is to include an actual opening menu for the game with settings you can mess around with and possible character customization.






Comments