Game Designer Skills

Three Skills I Would Be Best At


1. Creative writing: I have experience writing fictional and original stories, whether it's worlds made up in my mind, or ones made up by others. I've been writing for several years now, but I've only been trying to improve my writing skills for the past year or two; having said that, my  writing has improved greatly and ideas are easier to write down and create. I think I can apply this knowledge for creating the plot/story of the game, as well as using it to create dialogue for characters depending on the style of the game; from cut scenes to visual novels. Other ways I can apply this knowledge is by making the game more fun and interactable; some fictional worlds have plot holes if not written properly and I can avoid this with my experience. I can use this knowledge for when I create or think of events for the game, and we all know events are what keep a game interesting and it lowers the repetativeness.


2. Music: I can play multiple instruments and am an overall band geek. I've always had a liking for music in general, from cartoons and the radio to video games and animations. My experience with music is that with the right kind of genre or rhythm, you can give off the feeling you want to express and for people to absorb; an example is a sad song for serious parts in a game or the suspenseful, haunting music they play in horror games. I can apply all the musical knowledge and skills I've obtained and apply them to making or choosing the music for a game so that the audience can feel like they're actually there or to feel the mood or vibe the game is trying to give off. Another way I can apply this is if, for example, I'm developing, or helping to develop a game that is rhythm based; this is where my musical knowledge would come in handy.


3. Brainstorming: Since I've had experience writing stories, I also have experience in brainstorming ideas. When it comes to a story, whether it's in a book or in a game, etc, you usually brainstorm a whole bunch of ideas before going through with one and expanding it. I think my experience in this area can help me do well when it comes to thinking up of new game ideas, and if there's one thing I know, it's that the wackiest ideas are sometimes the most successful. When it comes to brainstorming, I also try to come up with a wide variety of ideas, because I feel that brainstorming based on one thing is pretty boring; my thinking range can help me come up with creative ideas and plot twists for when designing a game. Other ways of using my knowledge of brainstorming are to come up with ideas for other people to work off of, such as thinking up of ideas for video game companies.


A Challenging Skill

  1. Public Speaking: Out of all the other skills, public speaking is what I would find most challenging. I was never good at giving speeches or sharing my opinions and ideas, especially in an interesting and confident sounding way. The idea of having to frequently present also terrifies me, as I can get incredibly nervous and anxious when it comes to presenting in front of a group of people, typically people I either don't know or I don't know them very well.

Comments